The Aksarben Calf Challenge Program, held annually in conjunction with Aksarben Stock Show, provides youth an opportunity to showcase their knowledge of the beef industry and their ability to raise a market steer. The steers are provided by Aksarben Stock Show. Youth are selected through an application process.
Calf Challenge recipients must have exhibited at the previous year’s Aksarben Stock Show and have at least one year of exhibiting eligibility remaining. In order to successfully complete the project, participants have several requirements including: correspondence with their assigned sponsor, record keeping, animal management, interview skills and participation in the current Aksarben Stock Show.
The purpose of the Calf Challenge Program is to provide an educational, interesting and competitive feature for youth at the Aksarben Stock Show.Eligibility
- The exhibitor must be at least 9 years of age but no older than 19 years of age as of January 1 of the current year.
- Previous Calf Challenge participants are ineligible to re-apply for the Calf Challenge Program.
- To apply for the Calf Challenge Program, eligible youth will make entry on a special Calf Challenge Application Form provided online at Aksarbenstockshow.com. All applications will be electronically submitted through aksarbenstockshow.com.
Purple Ribbon Auction Calf Challenge (starting in 2020)
- Each contestant that is selected will receive a calf at a later date, but will pay back to the Aksarben Calf Challenge Program approximately 33% of the sale price of the Production Phase calf to perpetuate the program.
- In case of a tie, the following tie breakers will be used: 1) record book; 2) showmanship; 3) sponsor report; 4) interview;
- All Calf Challenge Calves must enter and exhibit unless previously excused by Aksarben.
- All Calf Challenge Calves will be weighed prior to the show.
- All Market Beef grooming rules will be enforced.
- Live animal premiums will be paid according to stated Market Beef Show premiums.
- Calf Challenge calves are not eligible to compete in Market Beef Showmanship.
- The Champion Overall Calf Challenge, Reserve Overall Calf Challenge will sell in the auction.
- All Calf Challenge calves must go to harvest.
- 1-15 calves in the project = top 2 steers sell
- 16+ calves in the project = top 3 steers sell
To learn more about the Calf Challenge Program, please contact Gary Kubicek at 308-385-3932, firstname.lastname@example.org.Superintendents: