The Aksarben Livestock Judging Contest presented by American Foods Group was held on Sept 30, 2018. There were 419 students from 23 states competing: 4-H, Junior College freshman, Junior College sophomore and Senior College in both team and individual categories. The Aksarben Stock Show is now produced and managed by the Nebraska State Fair.
The judging contestants placed 12 classes of livestock (five beef cattle, four sheep and goat, three hogs) and defended their placings with oral reasons.“Contests like this enable these young professionals to enhance their livestock evaluation, communication and decision-making skills,” stated Greg Harder, stock show director.
- Kansas State University received the top honors in the Senior College division of the American Foods Group Livestock Judging Contest, edging out Iowa State University by a mere four points with Oklahoma State University placing third.
- The largest contest of the day was the 4-H competition.Oklahoma took home the gold edging out Kentucky and the Clinton County team out of Iowa.
- In the Junior College divisions Hutchinson Jr. College (Kansas) picked up the title with a nine-point margin over Connors State (Oklahoma), with Butler (Texas) getting third with their sophomores.
- The freshman contest saw North Oklahoma College grab the banner followed by Butler and Northeast Oklahoma.
For the first-time a custom designed belt buckles created by Agri-Buckle was presented to the high individuals in each division.The winners were:
- Lacey Knodle - Iowa State University, senior college
- Brice Otey - Oklahoma, 4-H
- Abbey Spindle – Hutchinson Jr. College, sophomore division
- Mattie Haynes – Northeast Oklahoma Jr. College, freshman division
The American Foods Group Livestock Judging contest was held at Fonner Park.The 2019 Aksarben Stock Show will be held Sept 26-29, 2019 in Grand Island, Nebraska. The Aksarben Stock Show