The purpose of this event is to provide an opportunity for 4-H exhibitors to demonstrate their project production and management knowledge, strengthen decision making and communication, and recognize excellence in the demonstration of project knowledge.
A premier exhibitor in the following divisions will be selected: Dairy, Breeding Beef/Feeder Calf/Market Beef (one division), Horse, Market Lamb, Meat Goat and Market Swine.
The following rules will apply for entry:
- Only 4-H members in good standing who are 14 years of age or older on January 1 of the current year are eligible.
- Members may only compete in one division and are required to have animal entries in that division.
- Candidates will be evaluated on the following basis:
- 30% Interview: (pre-scheduled) A panel of judges will ask questions on at least two issues pertinent to the species and/or youth show.
- 35% Skillathon Station: Species specific production and management tasks. Examples include equipment identification, quality assurance problems, feed identification, ration formulation, meat cut identification, breed characteristics, reading ear notches, calculating carcass value based on a grid, scoring dairy cows based on the United Score Card, determining frame score. Study materials for some of these areas may be found at http://www.ca.uky.edu/agripedia/Agmania/
- 25% Production and Management Quiz: A written exam focusing on practical application of skills. A list of resources from which questions will be asked is available at (Coming soon)
- 10% Showmanship Placing: Points will be awarded on the highest ribbon received in the showmanship division of competition.
- Entry forms will be available online and must be completed with a $10 entry fee no later than August 10, 2017.
- Winners will be announced during the division shows when possible. Ribbons will be awarded based on the point scale below. Money generated from entry fees will be distributed on a sliding scale to participants in each species division. Points from all sections (interview, skillathon, test and showmanship) will be added to determine the total score.
Total points possible: 100
- Purple: 80 to 100 Points
- Blue: 70 to 79 Points
- Red: 60 to 69 Points
- White: < 60 Points
The two highest scoring individuals in each species will be recognized with Champion and Reserve Champion plaques, respectively. Individuals must be in the purple ribbon category to receive a plaque and be recognized as Champion or Reserve Champion.
The Champion from each species division will receive $250 and be eligible during the following year to compete for the Jim and Cindy Schaben Premier Exhibitor Award, a $1,000 educational scholarship. Individuals must be in the purple ribbon category to compete for the scholarship.
Previous species winners are not eligible to compete again in that specie, but may compete in a different species if eligible. Scholarship winners are not eligible for further competition.
Days of competition are:
- Saturday, September 22 – Horse
- Friday, September 28 – Market Beef and Market Sheep
- Saturday, September 29 – Market Beef, Market Swine, Meat Goat and Dairy
Participants will be contacted prior to the Show with their scheduled time of competition in the interview, skillathon and quiz.